Pages

9.17.2011

Free the sister wives!

Yesterday I finished reading, for the second time, Under the Banner of Heaven, by Jon Krakauer.  I very rarely read books twice, but 'Banner' was this month's selection for my new book club. I won't even attempt to write a review of this book or put to words the frustration and anger I felt reading it both times.  The violence, abuse, oppression, and corruption, apparently inherent in the fundamentalist faction of the Mormon church is appalling.  But, aren't those elements a part of every fundamentalist faction of every religion?  Honestly, I think a lot of people have stopped asking themselves, what would Jesus, or Muhammad, or Buddha, or Krishna, or Zeus, do?  Well, I think Zeus was kind of mean, throwing those lightning bolts and doing all that seducing, (maybe he was related to Joseph Smith?) so we can remove him from the list.
I will now permanently retire Mr. Krakauer's tome to my bookshelf and turn my attention toward some light fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment