Pages

8.20.2009

la Biennale di Venezia

One of our side trips while in Italy was to the magical city of Venice. I understand the appeal of this city built on water, but found it a bit gritty with all together too much hand holding and kissy-kissy going on. While there I visited the Accademia museum, because I simply couldn't get enough of the Vigin Mary and gold leaf, and I managed to get myself lost which I think everyone must try to do when visiting Venice. The main reason for our excursion to Venice was to visit la Biennale di Venezia. I said in an earlier post that I never once suffered from museum fatigue. Well, I lied. There was simply too much to see in just two days. Still, my travel mates and I managed to hit both the Arsenale and the Giardini and a few of us found the correct vaporetta and saw a number of exhibits that dotted the city. It was wonderful and I would love to make a return visit someday.
I saw so much and to fully describe everything that caught me eye, inspired me, made me think or caused my eyes to roll, I'd need a face-to-face visit, an afternoon and the help of my Biennale guide book and map (which is covered with notes, stars, arrows and exclaimation points). Instead, I've included below a few pictures of work that immediately pops into my head when I think about my days roaming through the Biennale.
This is the work of Susan Hefuna; above as installed in one of the many rooms of the Biennale and below in a detail. (If you look closely you can see me, snapping the picture!) I loved her work for its layering, line and stitchwork.Above is the work of Hans-Peter Feldman. In this installation toys and other objects slowly rotated on platforms and cast shadows on the walls behind. It reminded me of the shadow puppet shows I used to attend with my kids. Loved it. Another shadowy piece I adored was a film entitled Guests by Polish artist Krsysztof Wodiczko. The drawing above was done by Simone Berti. Very large and beautifully rendered. Abstract and organic forms floating in space.

Above is work done by Carlos Garaicoa. It is called Bend City and is three table tops of single sheets of red paper each cut and folded to make unique shapes and forms. It was impossible to get a decent picture because of the plexiglass covering each table, but take my word for it, it was very clever and cool.

What I have listed is a smidge of a scratch of the surface. If you want to see more, here's a link.

No comments:

Post a Comment